Your Study Guides and Strategies
An educational public service
helping learners succeed since 1996:
over 10.4 million visitors in 39
languages in 2011.
Study Guides and Strategies
- TRANSLATIONS & SITE MAP
- BOOKMARK SGS!
- Time, stress and
with others, and in the classroom
- Writing, vocabulary and spelling
- Research and reading
- Math and science;
- Site map
Writing assignment series
When writing your expository essay, follow these eight basic
- Select a topic:
Be sure the topic is
narrow enough to make it manageable within the space of an essay
- Write a thesis sentence:
Be sure the
thesis statement(or sentence) expresses a controlling idea that is
neither too broad nor too specific to be developed effectively
- Select a method of development:
through all the methods before you finally settle on the one
which will best serve your thesis:
- Organize the essay:
Begin by listing the
major divisions which the body paragraphs in your essay will
discuss; then fill in the primary supports that each body
paragraph of the essay will contain
- Write topic sentences for the body paragraphs of the
For each body paragraph, furnish a topic
sentence that directly relates to the thesis sentence
- Write the body paragraphs of the essay:
Each body paragraph should develop the primary support covered in
that paragraph’s topic sentence
- Furnish a paragraph of introduction:
introductory paragraph should state the thesis of the essay,
introduce the divisions in the body paragraphs of the essay, and
gain the interest of the reader
- Write a paragraph of conclusion:
- Restate the thesis and divisions of the essay
- Bring the essay to an appropriate and effective close
- Avoid digressing into new issues
definition | example | compare and contrast |
effect | classification | process analysis
Writing for the "Web" | The five-paragraph essay | Essays for a literature class |
Expository essays | Persuasive essays |
Position papers | Open book exams |
Essay Exams | White papers | Lab reports/scientific papers |
Research proposals |
Elements of a Research Paper
Seven stages of writing assignments |
Website overview: Since 1996 the Study Guides and Strategies Website has been researched, authored, maintained and supported as an international, learner-centric, educational public service.
Permission is granted to freely copy, adapt, and distribute individual Study Guides in print format in non-commercial educational settings that benefit learners.
Please be aware that the Guides welcome, and are under, continuous review and revision.
For that reason, digitization and reproduction of all content on the Internet can only be with permission through a licensed agreement. Linking to the Guides is encouraged!
The Study Guides and Strategies Website is intended for
students, ages middle school through returning adult, as well as their parents,
teachers and support professionals.
Its resources are intended to empower all learners without regard to
institutional and national boundaries; cultural mores and religious beliefs; race, gender and sexual orientation. Full disclaimer on use
You dont have permission to view this page.
Please email [email protected] if you believe this is an error. Please include your IP address in your email.
is right here
at only $14.36 a page
Good Expository Essay Topics – All for You
Before we begin exploring the collection of our expository essay topics, let us first establish what the very concept of the expository essay is.
Now, what is an expository essay? The expository essay explains the essence of a problem or phenomenon, by analyzing an idea or an aspect, comparing and contrasting two events, processes or ideas, and investigating the causes of a particular one. The typical expository essay will contain:
- An introduction paragraph to state the thesis and the methods of investigation.
- Three body paragraphs, each providing evidence in support of another thesis.
- A conclusion, which will restate the thesis concerning the evidence presented in each one of the body paragraphs.
However, in order to be good at writing expository essays, it is always helpful to look through some examples and have a few topic ideas ready. Please, have a look at some expository writing essay topics we have come up with to spare you the trouble of doing it yourself. And even if you feel none of them actually work for your essay, they will certainly ignite your inspiration and creativity in some way or another.
A Collection of Topics for Expository Essays
There is a wide variety of expository topics covering nearly every field of knowledge that you can make use of for your essay. We have done all the tedious work for you and are now offering you a collection of topics for the most popular disciplines.
General Knowledge Essay Topics
- The history of your college.
- A collective portrait of your college group.
- Compare the experience of traveling by train and by plane.
- What is the main problem in parents/children relations in modern times?
- How does one achieve one’s dream?
- Compare spending a vacation in the mountains to spending it at the seaside. Which is more preferable?
- What is the history of relations between humans and dogs?
- When is a good time to have children?
- How has the concept of the family transformed over the recent one hundred years?
- Why is reading a good habit?
- Who should be the moral authority for a child?
- What is the essence of talent? Is there such a thing as talent?
- Can anyone learn how to be a good painter or writer?
- Who is the most influential person in the world?
- What is money all about and what can it buy?
- Compare a good car to a bicycle. What advantages does either of them have?
- Compare computer addiction to smoking addiction. Which is more dangerous?
- Which is better – being smart or knowing a lot?
- What is more important: what you know or whom you know?
- How to save a stranger from committing suicide?
Celebrity-related Expository Essay Topics
- What does being a celebrity mean?
- What does it take to become a celebrity?
- How does one become a celebrity?
- Compare the experience of being a celebrity in politics and popular culture.
- How do celebrities avoid unwanted publicity?
- Who is your favorite celebrity? What is it about them that you like the most?
- How can a celebrity return to regular life? Do you know any examples?
- What is the most notorious celebrity-related scandal you can think of? Provide some details
- Who was Michael Jackson? Provide an emotionally charged portrait.
- Compare musical work of Michael Jackson and that of his brothers and sisters. Do you find their contribution to modern pop music secondary to his?
- Are celebrities necessarily rich?
- Who is Madonna – a singer or an actress?
- In which way do famous parents influence their children? Do their children have a chance of having a regular life?
- Compare two first ladies of the United States throughout the country’s history.
- Compare and contrast the public behavior of two celebrities coming from different parts of the world.
- Who was Louis Armstrong? Provide some biographical details.
- How do celebrities take care of security issues? Provide a few examples, compare and contrast them.
- Compare and contrast two celebrities who became criminals.
- How does the lifestyle of celebrities influence their children’s’ development?
- What is the nature of celebrities’ well-being?
Medicine-related Expository Essay Topics
- What are the early symptoms of PTSD in veterans?
- How do you deal with a child with an autism spectrum disorder?
- What is the correlation between diabetes and obesity?
- Compare and contrast type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- Compare cancer management practices in the United States and Mexico.
- How does breastfeeding prevent infant obesity?
- How do physical exercises help prevent various diseases?
- The history of X-ray tests.
- What is obstructive apnea?
- What are the methods of early detection of liver-related problems?
- What are the modern methods of treating mental disorders?
- Is there any correlation between premature birth and possible developmental disorders in a child?
- Who was Hippocrates and what was his role in the development of medical science?
- What is the role of hygiene in the prevention of infectious diseases?
- What is the most effective way of preventing influenza during an epidemic in a big city?
- What is the role of vaccination in the prevention of infectious diseases?
- What are the risks associated with vaccination?
- There are health care professionals who claim that HIV does not exist. What is the main evidence they provide in support of their position?
- The history of anesthesia.
- What are the modern anesthetic practices? Mention the main categories.
Politics-related Expository Essay Topics
- The role of the mass media in presidential elections
- What does it take for the United States to elect a female president?
- What was the role of the United States in the disintegration of the Soviet Union?
- How likely is it that the global government exists?
- What is the good way for the European Union to deal with the immigration crisis?
- What are the superpowers of the modern era?
- The US and Russia are two major countries which remain in opposition to one another, even though they both claim they are democratic states. Compare and contrast the two democracies.
- What is the role of China in the modern political arena?
- How can medium-sized and small countries preserve their neutrality status?
- The role of big corporations in shaping the political agenda in the United States.
- Is Donald Trump a political figure or does he remain a businessman?
- Compare and contrast the politics of Donald Trump and Barack Obama.
- The influence first ladies have had on the political agenda of the United States throughout its history.
- Does a political solution to the conflict between Israel and Palestine exist?
- How do African armed conflicts influence international politics?
- Explain the phenomenon of apartheid in South Africa and its underlying reasons.
- What are the risks of allowing church leaders to interfere with politics?
- To what degree do governments have the right to control cryptocurrencies?
- Discuss the differences which exist between the two major political parties in the United States.
- What are the reasons which may justify government control over the Internet?
Restaurant-related Expository Essay Topics
- McDonald’s – the history of success.
- What is the role of McDonald’s in the popularization of fast-food culture?
- Eating on-the-go – a culture or merely failed time management?
- How did Baskin Robins open their first restaurant abroad?
- What was the best restaurant you’ve ever attended?
- Describe the worst restaurant you’ve ever been to. What were the managerial mistakes?
- Coffee as an integral element of restaurant culture.
- Compare and contrast two very different national cuisines. Can they be brought together in just one restaurant?
- The role of advertising in developing the positive image of a restaurant.
- Compare and contrast modern culture of eating out with the ideas about restaurants being the only places to consume food which existed in the middle of the previous century in different parts of the world.
- Compare and contrast a restaurant and canteen.
- Peculiarities of the restaurant culture in the UAE.
- What do we know about the restaurant culture in totalitarian societies?
- Explain the phenomenon of restaurant tourism.
- Isn’t restaurant culture an attempt to distract our attention from more urgent issues? Does it really matter how a place we eat in looks like and the style of the waitresses’ clothes?
- How did the restaurant culture emerge?
- Which country sets the rules in the restaurant culture nowadays?
- How acceptable is it to bring infants to the restaurants?
- The role of music in the restaurant culture.
- What role does the selection of a brand play in the success of any given restaurant?
- Compare and contrast two famous restaurants in Europe and the Americas. What are the major differences and peculiarities?
- The history of restaurants in Japan.
We do hope that this topics selection will make your expository essay writing experience a breeze. Still, if you wish to have your essay written by a professional, you needn’t forget that we are always ready to provide you with a highly professional academic assistance. You may contact us at your earliest convenience, and we will be happy to take care of your expository essay writing for you.
- essay topics
- academic writing help
- expository essay
back to all posts
The Best Research Proposal Writing Guide
How to Do a Literature Review
Abortion Essay Explained and Explored
Great Extended Essay Topics List
Wondering How to Write an Analytical Essay? We Know!
- 5 paragraph essay
- abortion essay
- academic writing help
- ad analysis essay
- analytical essay
- annotated bibliography help
- application essay
- book report
- citation formatting
- classification essay
- creative essay
- custom essays
- definition essay writing
- descriptive essay
- dissertation abstract
- dissertation introduction
- dissertation writing
- essay topics
- essay writers
- essay writing
- essay writing help
- essay writing services
- essay writing tips
- essays tips
- expository essay
- extended essay
- help with essay
- how to
- illustration essay
- illustration essay help
- illustrative writing
- improve essay
- introduction tips
- literature review
- marketing research paper
- paper writing tips
- professional essays
- reflective essay
- report writing help
- research essays
- research paper help
- research paper topics
- research paper writing help
- research proposal
- rogerian argument
- rogerian essay
- technical research paper
- textual analysis essay
- thesis writing help
- topic list
- topics list
- traveling essay
- write an essay
- writing help
- Customer #87747Sep 18, 2018 10:11
“I wasn’t completely satisfied with the first version of my custom report, but the writer revised it pretty quickly. I got a B, but it’s better than what I would’ve got if I’d done it myself, so thanks.”
- Customer #86922Jul 02, 2018 17:00
“I’ve graduated thanks to you) My thesis got an A, so maybe I should think about getting a PhD 😀 You are great as always!”
- Customer #86893Jun 30, 2018 20:00
“Who could have thought that getting a perfect essay is so easy? Thank you for your patience and professionalism!”
- Customer #83356Jan 21, 2018 07:26
“Good communication options. Like your phone and chat support. Thank your writer as well, all requirements
followed, used my sources, nothing should be changed.”
- Customer #82686Nov 15, 2017 07:29
“I had to leave for a trip and needed to submit a lab report asap. You saved me! I passed and we’ll keep your contacts for the future. I like professional companies and you are definitely one of them.”