Cookies used by this site
- – Cross-device tracking
- – Browser history
- – Google Tag Manager
- – Google Adwords
- – Crazy Egg
- – Optimizely
- – HasOffers
- – Ad Partners
You are leaving ArcGames.com
Heads up, you are now leaving Arc Games! Remember to not share ac- count information as the site you are attempting to reach is not affiliated with Arc Games.
Okay – I Understand
Continue to link and leave Arc Games.
Take me back to Arc Games.
Season 8 Dev Blog #54
Thu 27 Feb 2014 12:00:00 PM PST
Galaxy Class Reboot
Galaxy Class Retrofit
“Let’s make sure history never forgets… the name…’Enterprise’!” – Jean-Luc Picard
The Galaxy Class starships (the Tier 4 Exploration Cruiser Refit, the Tier 5 Exploration Cruiser Retrofit, and the three nacelle alternate universe counterpart, the Galaxy Dreadnought Cruiser) were some of the first starships Star Trek Online ever released for purchase. The T4 Galaxy Refit comes with an Antimatter Spread Console (originally used against the Borg in “TNG: The Best of Both Worlds”), as well as unlocking the slick new Venture Class costume variant. The T5 Galaxy Retrofit comes with a Saucer Separation Console, which introduced the first time we saw saucer separation in the game and arguably the first time anything like this has ever been seen in any MMO. The T5 Galaxy Dreadnought comes with its devastating integrated Phaser Lance and a Cloaking Device Console, as seen in The Next Generation Series Finale “All Good Things”. To this day, these remain some of the most popular ships is STO – undoubtedly due to their iconic stature.
Galaxy Class Refit
It’s been a long time since the STO team has taken a close look at these ships, though it wasn’t for lack of desire. When we released the Enterprise-F Odyssey Class, we developed new technology that allowed players to separate their saucer while the ship was still in motion. The reconnect sequence became much more refined, and utilized the player’s actual geo and material choices. The older Galaxy saucer separation would bring your ship to a full stop while separating and the reconnect sequence featured a generic galaxy saucer that didn’t reflect the players ship customization choices. From that moment, we wanted to apply what we learned from the Odyssey to the Galaxy. But game developer desires always far exceed their schedules, and every time we would get close, bigger priorities took precedent.
Galaxy Dreadnought Cruiser
Over the last year, STO has seen some phenomenal growth. The game has matured in astounding ways, and so has our team. One of the most important things the team wants to is go back and address old issues. One issue that was dear to us is bringing the Galaxy ships up to speed, and now we can. I am happy to announce the following changes:
- Saucer Separation – Saucer Separation now uses the new separation technology as seen on the Odyssey. You can now separate while in motion, and your returning saucer will match your ship customization. The sequence is generally smoother and richer. You can even continue to fire while separating.
- Galaxy Dreadnought Improvements – We have updated the Galaxy Dreadnought stats to bring it in line with other Dreadnoughts.
- New BOff seating – The Galaxy Dreadnought’s Ensign Tactical BOff seat will become an Ensign Universal BOff seat.
- Hangar Bay – The Galaxy Dreadnought will now have one Hangar Bay Slot, equipped by default with Type 8 Shuttles. It can equip any standard Federation hanger pet.
- Saucer Separation – The Galaxy Dreadnought will finally support Saucer Separation. The Galaxy Dreadnought does not come with the Saucer Separation Console, but if you own one, you can now use it on the Dreadnought. The separated Saucer pet of a Galaxy Dreadnought has a more tactical flavor than the standard Galaxy Saucer pet. It is equipped with Dual Phaser Cannons, and a mini-Phaser Lance.
- Phaser Lance Wide Beam – When the Saucer is separated, the Galaxy Dreadnought’s Phaser Lance standard beam becomes a Wide Beam attack (like a sawed-off shotgun). Damage is only slightly reduced, but the affect area is much larger.
- All existing Galaxy Dreadnoughts will be automatically fixed-up; however, you will not be automatically granted a Type 8 shuttle pet. You can either purchase one in the Hangar Pet store for Energy Credits, or dismiss your Dreadnought and reclaim a new one which will be fully outfitted with a Type 8 shuttle.
- Set Bonus – The Antimatter Spread Console and Saucer Separation console will enjoy a 2 piece set bonus. Equipping both on a ship will grant you:
- +20 Starship Starship Hull Plating skill
- +20 Starship Armor Reinforcement skill
- +2 Turn Rate bonus
- Antimatter Spread on Saucer – As always, when equipping the Antimatter Spread console on any ship that supports saucer separation (any Galaxy, Odyssey, or Prometheus Variant), the separated Saucer pet will gain the Antimatter Spread ability. This bonus will now also apply to the Galaxy Dreadnought.
- Fleet Galaxy Dreadnought – The Fleet Galaxy Dreadnought will be available to any Fleet with a Tier 4 Shipyard. Like all Fleet ships, the Fleet Galaxy Dreadnought will enjoy the standard +10% Hull Hit Points and Shields, and a 10th console slot. It will come standard with an integrated Phaser Lance, and Hanger Slot, but will not come with a Cloaking Device Console (if you own a Cloaking Device Console Mod, you can equip it on the Fleet Galaxy Dreadnought). The Fleet Galaxy Dreadnought will be available for 5 Fleet Modules or 1 Fleet Module if you already own the C-Store Galaxy Dreadnought.
- New Galaxy Bundle – The Tier 4 Galaxy Exploration Cruiser Refit, Tier 5 Galaxy Exploration Cruiser Retrofit, and Tier 5 Galaxy Dreadnought will be available as a bundle for 4000 Zen. If you purchase the Galaxy Bundle, you can claim the Galaxy Bridge for Free in the C-Store.
Note: If you already own any of these Galaxy ships, the Galaxy Bundle will not be available for purchase.
Note: That the Tier 4 Galaxy Refit cannot use Saucer Separation, but as always, if you own the T4 Galaxy Refit, you will unlock the Venture Class costume geometry in the ship tailor for all Galaxy variants.
Note: The Turn Rate set bonus on the Odyssey and Bortasqu’ was increased from 0.5 to 1.
If you are a Star Trek Online 600 Day Subscription Veteran, or Lifetime Subscriber, you can continue to choose to claim the Tier 5 Galaxy Exploration Cruiser Retrofit for Free Vice Admiral Ship Token.
As always, remember details are subject to change.
The above ships will become available around 10AM PST next Thursday, March 6th, 2014. More detailed stats for the Fleet Galaxy Dreadnought Cruiser will be posted in a Dev Blog next week.
Al “Captain Geko” Rivera
Star Trek Online
– – – – –
Click here to learn more about Legacy of Romulus, our free-to-play expansion for Star Trek Online. Advance your journey of rebuilding the Romulan legacy with a Legacy Pack purchase! Click on the logo below to learn more about it.
Want more game details, screens, and videos? Like Star Trek Online on Facebook for more exclusive content and follow us on Twitter – tweet us your questions! And, subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest Star Trek Online videos.
– – – – –
Discuss this in the Forums
Follow / Subscribe
Most Recent More
Age of Discovery Wallpapers!
Welcome to 2409
PC Patch Notes for 10/11/18
Follow / Subscribe
Star Trek (TV Series)
Star Trek (creative franchise)
Which Starfleet ships can separate?
ad by Snippet
, studied at Gloversville High School
In Star Trek, it could in theory be possible for every starship that has a saucer section to be able to perform a Saucer Separation. It is mentioned in canon that the USS Enterprise NCC 1701 and the rest of the Constitution-class by default could perform a Saucer Separation by having the Saucer disconnected from the Secondary Hull by Explosive Bolts; this would then require the starship to be reconnected at a Shipyard or Starbase.
It is also mentioned in a Star Trek novel; forgot which one that the Excelsior-class can also do a Saucer Separation and this maneuverer was undertaken with Riker aboard way before he was ever an officer on the USS Enterprise NCC 1701-D.
The Galaxy-class starships of which the USS Enterprise NCC 1701-D is one of are the first Federation Starships that can perform a Saucer Separation and then successfully rejoin the Saucer to the Secondary Hull without needing assistance from a Shipyard or Starbase.
The Prometheus-class is another type of Federation Starship that can separate but this isn’t in sense a Saucer Separation. The Prometheus-class has a technique called Multi-Vector Assault Mode which when activated separates the ship into three parts that are all able to attack on their own in a specified Attack Pattern.
It is also speculated and even designed to do so that the Sovereign-class starships; of which the USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E is a part of can also do a Saucer Separation in the way that the Galaxy-class can. I am stating this for I am going by direct designer statements for the Sovereign-class and namely the USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E. There is even a concept drawing about this put out by the starship’s designer and Paramount Studios that I either found on Memory Alpha or the Official Star Trek website; I forgot which. This though hasn’t ever been seen on screen in any of the movies with the USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E and also hasn’t been featured/realized in the PC/PS4/xBox One Star Trek Game – Star Trek Online.
In the PC/PS4/xBox One Star Trek Game – Star Trek Online, there are some other starships that can do a Saucer Separation like the Galaxy-class X-Refit Dreadnought (and its variants). The Prometheus-class (and its variants) and also the Odyssey-class starships that includes the USS Enterprise NCC 1701-F. For the Odyssey-class though, they call it Chevron Separation instead for some reason.
Star Trek Onlines Hestia-class:
promoted by Lingokids English learning for children
, works at CBR.com
Technically, even the first Constitution-class Enterprise seen in the Original Series could separate portions of itself. In "The Apple," Kirk says “Then use your imagination. Tie every ounce of power the ship has into the impulse engines. Discard the warp drive nacelles if you have to, and crack out of there with the main section, but get that ship out of there!” They never actually did it, but the potential was there.
However, the first time we saw a saucer separation wasn’t until the Galaxy-class USS Enterprise in Star Trek: The Next Generation’s first episode, “Encounter at Farpoint.”
In Star Trek: Voyager “Message in a Bottle,” we saw a Prometheus-class starship separate its saucer as well.
In the new reality of Star Trek Beyond, we saw the Constitution-class Enterprise separate its saucer section during the battle with Krall.
So the implication is that many Starfleet starships could separate their saucer sections, but we didn’t see it that often.
, Over 40 Years of Martial Arts Experience (1974-present)
According to various technical manuals, starting with the Franz Joseph one in the 70’s,, the seperation feature started with the Constitution class as an emergency last resort against warp engine failure.
By the time we get warp core ejection, saucer seper is used as a tactical option as seen on the Galaxy class .
The next step was to fully weaponise the concept and that brought about the Prometheus class.
Allegedly, as a rule, all “necked” designs can separate (thus Excelsior and Ambassador) but requires a starbase facility to reattach. After the Galaxy, the Sovereign class was also deemed to have tactical saucer seper but that was never actually shown either.
Some sources also claim the Ambassador class bridge could detach and reattach as an impulse drive module and that the bridge of the defiant could also be detached as a large escape pod or even used as a large warhead.
promoted by The Vintage News
, Love Star Trek, and its World
The ships that are known:
Galaxy class starship
Prometheus class starship
Supposedly the Sovergen class Starship but that was never seen
The consutition class starships of the Kelivin Timeline
, Nuclear Medicine Technologist at Northampton General Hospital (2002-present)
All of them. If you hit them with enough firepower.